Thursday, September 14, 2006

COMPLICATED

There I was helping my daughter with her homework – she’s 5 years old – when it hit me just how complicated mature adults are.

Note: I am not claiming this whole “complicated mature” thing all by myself. I happen to believe that you (oh yes, Y-O-U!) – since you can read this blog – has transcended that fine line separating childhood ignorance and adulthood maturity.

Just what brings about this sudden realization? Taste. Yes, taste, the reason why we have tongues (it not just for kissing, you know). Taste – sweet, sour, salty, bitter...

You never realize just how much complicated you have become until you start to ask yourself if coffee should be under the “bitter” or “sweet” category. Since I take my coffee with three heaps of sugar, I put coffee under “sweet”. My daughter would have none of it. It seems they teach kids at school that coffee is bitter. (Yeah, right … if you have them chew the coffee bean.)

Then there’s mango. “Is it sweet or sour?” So I think, “Are we talking about ripe mango or dried mango?” It was a battle of a-thousand-questions for me. Since the workbook had it under “sweet”, I assumed we were talking about ripe mango.
And it goes on to apple (“green or red?”), popcorn (“cheese or buttered?”) and so many other food items. I swear I had a terrible headache after.

So now, I share these inane musings with you. Just how much complicated have you gotten that things that used to be simple when we were kids are not so simple anymore?

No comments: