Friday, August 03, 2012

Like a Boss


Have you seen that thumbs up icon that says "like a boss"?

I used to think it meant that i should be enamored with the boss, then i realized it was actually referring to doing things as if you are a boss.  Although, quite frankly, I do not subscribe to either interpretations.  I am not enamored with the boss and I hope to God I do not do things like a boss. 

The thing with being a boss is that you tread a very fine line. You have to be careful with the words you say, and the things you do.  You cannot continue to be "like everyone else" where you twist words to fit your pre-conceived twisted notions; and yet, you cannot be so high up the ladder to not know when jokes are just that, jokes.

I expect a whole damn lot from people of position. 
I expect them to know when to say something and when not to.
I expect them to exercise prudence and sensitivy.
I expect them to lead with action, not threats or empty words.
I expect them to know how to do my job.
I expect them to champion the greater good.
Most of all, I expect them to own up to what they say.

One cannot be in a position of respect if one does not have the courage to stand by what one has said; nor can one be respectable if one can only say things behind closed doors, away from the ears of the person one is championing against.

It takes more than the ability to talk incessantly for hours or the ability to sprinkle sentences with jargon to be a real boss.  It takes true understanding of what being a boss should be - one who motivates people, pushes them to grow and champions them to be the best they can be.

No comments: