Friday, April 11, 2008

Lola

Last night, hubby's lola went towards the light.She was 80+. Lived a full life. Was the grandmother to everybody. Hubby told me this story that lola was the one the neighbors will call when there was a fight, because,well, people listened to her. And if somebody needed help, lola will come. No matter if helping out means that she will have to do without. She is that - a person with the purest and goodest of hearts. {Which is why I do not wonder why hubby is the way he is - may pinagmanahan!}

Lola is absolutely well-loved. When the famiy wanted to have the wake someplace else, the neighbors wouldn't hear of it. They want lola to stay where she is - so they could - in the last days of her physical presence - be with her. Nothing could be more touching than knowing that people around sincerely loves.

I always wonder what my own wake will be. Will people come? I have very few friends, most of whom are really hubby's friends, who just had no choice but to become mine as well. I even seriously doubt if my relatives will do a showing - well, maybe they would stay for an hour or two, but probably not really magdamagan. Which is one of the reasons why I always remind hubby to not "show me off". Just cremate me. Have it done and over with as fast as possible. Not the nicest of thoughts, I know, but this is something I have a resigned acceptance of.

Anyways, I asked Gail if she remembers her lola-lola. She said yes and that she is sad that lola lola is gone. She said "sana naging 120 years old na lang sya". In her mind, nothing could be better than living forever and being here forever. Probably lola lola wouldn't have enjoyed living up to a century - not if she was burdened with a body that could not cope. I think she probably is around here somewhere looking at the people she left behind and smiling as she sees how much of an impact she made in other people's lives. She truly lived one good life.

No comments: