Thursday, July 12, 2007

Talk to me

My relatives tell me I spoke english until I was 3 years old. Apparently, I lost my knack to eloquently converse in english when I had to say more than "yes", "no" and "because".

My 7 year old daughter has started to talk to me in colehiyala english. "I do not want hamburger naman eh" or "I can carry my bag. It's not bigat." I find it amusing. Her dada finds its equally adorable.

She's seven, so she's excused.

But if you are old enough to have sex, or to drive (whichever comes first) - please, please restrain yourself from falling into the trap. English conversation is good only if you are having it with somebody who is really english speaking - somebody who processes thoughts in english.

If you process your thoughts in tagalog and struggle to verbally translate them, believe me it is a pain to watch. It's slow death for us. We will lobby for euthanasia - not for you, but for us who you subject to excruciating pain.

So the next time you find yourself caught in an english sentence you cannot complete in english, be kind. Mag tagalog ka na lang.

No comments: